Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Boring Home Decor

When Bob and I first moved here and bought furniture appropriate for our (new! larger!) space, I spent hours, days weeks and months re-arranging the living room. I moved the couch over there and the love seat over here... placed a side table next to this chair and a floor lamp next to that. I shoved the TV cabinet across the room, hoping to avoid the glare from the setting sun, and I made certain the enormous brick fireplace was always the focal point of the room.

Back then, Bob was perpetually frustrated by the changes I made. Eventually we (and the room) settled on a floor plan that worked for everyone. For several years now, the couch goes here, the love seat goes there, and the chair is stuck in that corner. The TV cabinet has been upgraded with a new flat-screen television, but it hasn't moved from that wall; and the CD cabinet, which screams college dorm room, hasn't moved from its spot near the front entry for so long that I now fear if it were moved, the carpet beneath it would be permanently pocked.

I am SO bored with my living room. Every time I walk through it I think it's probably time (after TWELVE years) that we find a way to make the room look more "adult" and less "college student". In truth I would love to move every piece of furniture in that room to the basement so I could start with a clean slate. In reality my husband might divorce me for banishing his television-watching habit to the basement, and we certainly can't afford the new, more formal furniture I want to replace the dorm-room look.

Of course, the minute I allow myself to think about re-decorating the living room, my mind wanders to the most wonderful kitchen of my dreams. And I quickly realize the alas, none of these changes are meant to be, now or in the immediate future.

And then I'm made to wonder... where is my imaginary, independently wealthy boyfriend when I need him? Sigh.

Sweet Dreams!
XO
Jodi

No comments: