Week Three, Work Day 5:
I'd been given a bit of warning from Tami, but I was still amazed when I arrived on Friday morning and found that the house had been fitted with windows sometime during the week! The simple addition of windows made the house look livable and made this build process more real. We're actually building a home! Seeing those windows Friday morning gave me goose bumps... and we hadn't yet begun the day's work.
After standing about for a bit and wondering where we could be best employed, Tami and I were put to work building out one of the interior walls so that duct work for her dryer could be properly installed. We were unofficially supervised by a pair of HVAC contractors who found our (amateurish) hammering skills quite hilarious. They laughed with us for a minute or two, but they were patient and generous in waiting on us to complete the work, so that they could get on with their own.
With the laundry wall complete, Tami and I headed to the north side of the house where plans for the siding installation were underway. A small crew of folks was busy marking the fiber-cement siding with the "reveal" marks the installers would need as reference, and our intrepid cut-man, Adam, designed his cutting jig in order to make efficient cuts throughout the installation.
The siding plan proved to be a bit of a slow starter, but we soon found a rhythm - with Tami manning (and mastering) the pneumatic nailer... and then the lunchtime bell rang.
The work we're doing is serious - we're building the home in which my sister will live for years to come! But the fun is serious too - frivolity and laughter are never lacking on the site. It amazes me how quickly each new group of volunteers becomes a cohesive and productive team... and somehow each team is able to tease and joke and laugh. I've met so many wonderful people in the past few weeks and they have all been gracious, kind, and keen to keep their sense of humor. I can't remember when I've laughed so often while working so hard!
Week Three, Work Day 6:
Rained out again! This was a real disappointment for Tami... two Saturdays without progress is tough to take, especially since both days were "called for rain" only to have the rain let up soon after the call was made.
Rained out again! This was a real disappointment for Tami... two Saturdays without progress is tough to take, especially since both days were "called for rain" only to have the rain let up soon after the call was made.
Tami posted some beautiful news of the mid-week work... the bricks have been applied to the front facade! I'll post photos in my next update, promise!
Coming up next: The roof shingles are on-site and I understand that the roofers are scheduled to start their work this week. I imagine Friday will be filled with more siding work and perhaps some insulation of the interior walls. Drywall can't be too far off... Whoopee! I pray the weather cooperates with us this week!
Please add your prayers to mine!
XO
Jodi
No comments:
Post a Comment