Week Five, Work Day 9:
When I arrived on site Friday morning, I immediately noticed that the shutters and the house numbers had been installed last week! (I had a hint from Tami, but it was still a thrill to see them personally.)
My last entry concluded that I was looking forward to working indoors this week, but that didn't happen. Instead Tami and I were set up in the front yard with sawhorse upon sawhorse of interior trim that needed painting. We spent our morning painting trim, moving pieces aside to dry, painting and moving still more, and eventually applying a second coat to all the same pieces. It was a tedious job, and we really could have used the help of a radio, but we had a great time doing the work together regardless.
****************************************************As an aside:
The best part of our trim painting extravaganza was that we were joined mid-morning by a couple who have just entered into the beginning stages of becoming a partner family with Habitat for Humanity. They were eager to work on whatever tasks they were assigned and they are looking forward to one day earning partner family status for themselves and their five children. It was wonderful to meet this couple just as they begin their relationship with HFH... eager, hopeful, helpful, and as excited for my sister as they are for their own future.****************************************************
Tami and I were trying to finish applying the second paint coat to the very last pieces of trim when we were asked to break for lunch. I was shocked by the number of folks who came out of the house for lunchtime... I knew folks were inside putting the first coats of primer on the drywall, but I didn't realize how many there were. There was a whole gaggle of folks busy in there!
We all enjoyed the sandwiches, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, and a literal load of sweets provided to us by the church sponsoring the day's grub. I was grateful for the break and especially thankful for the delicious food, since I'd only eaten a small muffin for breakfast. (Stupid move on my part!)Our afternoon activities brought with them a bit more interior painting, some sweeping, window cleaning and other miscellaneous tasks. With the cleaning out of the way, we were put to work moving the interior doors and cabinetry (which gave me a touch of kitchen envy) from the trailer to the house. Of course this means that final touches aren't too far away!
The last task of the day was to properly clean all the painting equipment. The only problem was that Tami's house didn't yet have running water. Tami headed to her sweet neighbor's house and begged a few buckets of water so we could set about our task. While we worked, a pair of plumbers finished hooking up the city water to Tami's house, so our last couple of buckets were straight from the spigot of her brand new home - WOO!Week Five, Work Day 10:
I was not on site, and I haven't heard from Tami about what transpired. I did speak to another sister this week who told me that the cabinets were installed and some plants/weeds were removed. Maybe Tami will report on the full progress of the day in the comments. (HINT, Tami?)
Coming up next: I believe the yard will be leveled out this week, and perhaps the flooring will be installed. I imagine if the flooring is installed next weekend will be filled with interior door and trim installation. Sadly I have to work my day job this Friday so I won't get my build "fix". I will likely stop by to check out the progress this Saturday, but you shouldn't expect an incredibly detailed update from me next week.
I do pray that progress continues, and I send great thanks to all who have or will volunteer on this build, or with any of the other Habitat for Humanity programs worldwide. Your work is important and meaningful to so many!
XO
Jodi
3 comments:
OK Jodi here is your Saturday update. I will warn you now it doens't have a very good ending. Saturday most if not all of the interier trim was installed. Sister Fran and Brother Nick arriced early in the morning and we were put to work putting up shims and were quickly followed by Bob (the builder) with the installation of the doors. Man that's a lot of door! The family and I then moved to the yard where we found a wonderful couple working away on the trees and removing over growth and leaves. Soon after we broke for lunch. After lunch we were joined by other siblings and a coupld nieces. As we resumed our tree removing fun we soon found ourselves removing a large number of dead trees along with one "Dr. Seuss" tree. Two of the men on site were determined to remove the tree stump and were cheered on as they finally were able to get it out of the ground. I can now see my neighbor to the south. BTW I was able to meet him, a very nice K9 officer who I found out has been helping keep the local kids out of my home during the week.
Here comes the not so happy ending. I was so exhaused that on Sunday I literally was unable to physicly move. Scared I called Connie and Julie for help. Thought I was going to be OK, NOT (guess that's what I get for thinking) I took a day long trip to the ER that resulted in having NO more information then I had when I left the apartment. UGH! I spent yesterday at home and am off to work today. Still a bit weak, but NOTHING compaired to how I fel on Sun and Mon!
So, does that help you understand why I didn't give you the weekly update? LOL
Love you sister! I hope you make it out Saturday!
Tami
Thanks for the update, Tami! :) Sorry about the unhappy ending. I hope you're back to 100% very soon. Love you!
me too!! I made it through less then 3 hours at work today. Guess I'm not quite ready for all that.
Love you sister!
Post a Comment