Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Sister's Dream Home - Week Four

My youngest sister has worked long and hard to qualify as a partner homeowner with Habitat for Humanity. Tami and her three sons have sacrificed, scrimped and saved to earn this opportunity, and they continue to work hard while they look forward to moving day with great anticipation. I have volunteered to help build their home... and to tell you about the HFH process from the perspective of a family member and volunteer. At the risk of infringing on NBC's copyright... These are my stories:

Week Four, Work Day 7:
Imagine my surprise when I called Tami on Friday morning (to check if there was rain on her side of town) and learned that the drywall had been installed sometime during the week! More surprising to me was that the drywall had been installed before the shingles were on the roof. It was with that realization that my morning prayers began in earnest... "please, Lord, don't let it rain today". God is good, and we were blessed with a bright, clear day to complete our work.

I started off the morning as the unofficial pneumatic nail gun operator on a siding crew determined to get the back of the house completed. In the meantime, a crew of painters were employed on the north side, even as the last bits of siding were being installed there. A third crew of brave souls worked on the front of the house, finishing the siding on the gables.

Mid-way through the morning my crew's siding work had slowed a bit while precise cuts were being made for the pieces around the windows. Soon thereafter, extension ladders were leaned against the house so the gable could be sheeted with Tyvek and the siding installed. It was then that I dismissed myself from the siding crew. I'm not so great with ladders.

I wasn't idle for long before construction supervisor, Mike, instructed a painting crew to apply their paint and brushes to the (existing) shed. I then became a part of a 3-woman crew employed in removing the weeds around the shed so the painting crew could reach all sides.

In the meantime... the roofers arrived to install the shingles and make safe the drywall inside!


After a delightful lunch of sloppy joe, potato salad and other yummy treats, we headed back to work. The afternoon crew of volunteers worked on the south side of the house (which was until then siding-free), while another crew put the finishing touches on the back of the house. Most of our painters left with the morning crew, so I turned my attention and a paint brush loose on the front of the shed, adding a second coat to the doors before my carpel tunnel plagued wrists could take no more.

I admit I did a bit of standing about in the afternoon... a small crew of painters took over the work on the shed, and the mass of muscled men had embarked on a friendly game of "who can finish first" with the siding on the back and south sides of the house. I fetched a few refreshments for the guys, visited with my brother and his youngsters (who stopped by for a peek at the progress), and then busied myself cleaning up around the site. Before long the final pieces of siding were installed and we called it a day.

For the record, the crew working on the back of the house finished first. Here you see Bob placing the final piece of the gable siding.


Week Four, Work Day 8:
Finally - a Saturday without rain! I wasn't on site to witness the work, but Tami reports that the day was full of painting... the exteriors (house and shed) are now complete - 100%. What wonderful news!

Cinder block crawl space; floor joists and sub floor; exterior and interior framing; ceiling joists, rafters and roof decking; plumbing, electrical and HVAC; windows and exterior doors; shingles and siding and paint; and drywall... in just four short weeks... and it has all been accomplished by volunteers! Simply amazing.

Coming up next: Priming and painting the interior walls, as well as baseboard, cabinet, counter top and fixture installation. From the looks of the schedule (as well as by word from Mike), the entire build will be completed at least one week earlier than planned!

Looking forward to working indoors this weekend!
XO
Jodi

No comments: