Tuesday, October 14, 2008

DoodleBug

I nicknamed my now 17-year-old niece “DoodleBug” when she was less than a year old. I don’t recall exactly how the nickname came to me, but it stuck and she has been “DoodleBug”, or “Doodle” or “Bug” for most of her life. (Thankfully she reports that she actually likes her nickname!)

She was the first spawn of my siblings to arrive with red hair, and my dad was In Love with this child from the get-go. It was certainly un-Grandpa-like for my dad to have a favorite, but I think the red hair did him in. My mom is a redhead, so it didn't surprise any of us that Dad showed a particular delight in his first redheaded grandchild.

Take a look at this kid. How could you NOT fall in love with her?


My little Bug has grown up to be one really smart kid! She’s doing the college-research thing now (as hard as that is for me to comprehend); and she’s already been offered partial scholarships to at least three schools. She recently learned that she has been invited to compete for one of a handful of fully funded four-year scholarships to a local, private university!

Doodle was the first niece/nephew born after I had graduated high school (I became an Auntie at age 12)… And it boggles my mind that she’ll be in college next year. I can still very clearly recall her first birthday party! It’s difficult for me to accept that she is mere months away from fleeing the nest, starting college, and embarking on great new grown-up adventures.

I miss that little curly-redhaired girl, but I simply couldn’t be more proud that she’s grown up to be so intelligent, so sweet, and so delightful! And I am looking forward to witnessing and celebrating all the wonderful things she will accomplish in her life

I love ya, Bug... endlessly!
Aunt Jodi

No comments: