Central Indiana experienced a freezing rain/ice storm this evening, just as rush hour was getting underway. My typically 30 to 40 minute drive home took over two hours!
For the first time ever (as far as I can recall) the interstate loop around the city was shut down for several miles, so I was forced to drive side roads at speeds well under 20 MPH. I think I drove for more than an hour before my speedometer topped 15 MPH. When I finally got outside of city's loop I had smooth sailing… for about 3 or 4 miles. Just as I crossed the county line, the road became an ice skating rink.
Three cars had slid off the road right at the county line. It was a clear indication that Marion County has greater resources than my own. I did see a salt truck on my two-lane road, but it was headed in the opposite direction and not exactly helping those of use who commute back into the ‘burbs from the city.
I witnessed a few other slide-offs before I was back on a road reasonably well treated. But even there I saw an accident at which the attending sheriff’s deputy (venturing into my lane to take a photo of the damage) nearly fell down in the middle of the road.
Thankfully Bob and I both made it home safely. I’m sending thoughts and prayers that those I know and love were equally fortunate.
Our little ice storm isn’t much when compared to the loads of snow so many other areas of the northern states are enduring. I do hope y’all are being careful and taking it slow.
Stay safe!
XO
Jodi
No comments:
Post a Comment